Using Neem Oil on Hazelnut Trees
Neem oil can be beneficial in a hazelnut orchard for preventing plant pests and diseases.
Some diseases and pests that neem oil can help prevent in hazelnut orchards include:
• Hazelnut Aphid (Phylloxera caryaefoliae) – Aphids that feed on hazelnut leaf juices, causing leaf deformation and reduced photosynthesis.
• Hazelnut Moth (Cydia latiferreana) - Pest whose larvae feed on hazelnut fruits, leaving behind tunnels and worms that diminish the quality and market value of the nuts.
• Hazelnut Wasp (Trichilogaster acaciaelongifoliae) - Wasp that lays eggs in hazelnut fruits, causing them to fall off and perish.
• Hazelnut Bud Mite (Eriophyes avellanae) – Mite that feeds on hazelnut leaves and shoots, causing twisting and browning of leaves.
• Hazelnut Shield Bug (Codrua splendana) - Insect whose larvae feed on young hazelnut shoots, leading to stunted growth and development.
• Hazelnut Brown Rot (Monilinia spp.) - Fungal disease affecting hazelnut fruits, causing rotting and fruit loss.
• Hazelnut Brown Leaf Spot (Stigmina carpophila) – Fungal disease causing brown spots on hazelnut leaves.
• Hazelnut Gray Mold (Botrytis cinerea) – Another fungal disease that can affect hazelnuts and lead to rot.
• Hazelnut Bacterial Blight (Xanthomonas arboricola pv. corylina) – Bacterial disease causing spotting on hazelnut leaves and fruits.
It's important to emphasize that neem oil should be used preventively and not when the disease or pest has already appeared. Following the manufacturer's instructions for usage and applying it in recommended quantities is also crucial to avoid harming the plants.